Statutory Sick Pay

What is Statutory Sick Pay?

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is paid by employers to employees who cannot work due to illness. SSP is paid by your employer and if you are eligible and claiming SSP for sickness you will be paid £99.35 per week for up to 28 days.

The days you’re off sick when you normally would have worked are called ‘qualifying days’. If you’re eligible, you’ll get SSP for all your qualifying days, except for the first 3. These are called ‘waiting days’.

You’ll only be paid SSP for the first 3 working days you are off sick if either of the following apply:

  • the period you were away from work started before 25 March 2022 and you were off sick because of coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • you received SSP within the last 8 weeks, and that already included a 3-day waiting period before you were paid SSP


Do I qualify for Statutory Sick Pay?
You qualify to receive SSP if you:

  • are classed as an employee
  • Have been ill for at least 4 days in a row (including non-working days)
  • earn an average of at least £123 per week

How do I make a claim?
Speak to your employer regarding your illness and say you wish to claim Statutory Sick Pay. You should tell your employer you’re sick within contract deadlines or within 7 days if they do not have one.

SSP is paid by your employer in the same way as your normal wages – weekly or monthly.

If your employer needs proof
Follow your workplace’s usual sickness reporting process.

You can ‘self-certify’ for the first 7 days off work. This means following your workplace process but not having to get a note from a doctor or NHS 111.


If you are not eligible or your SSP ends
You may be able to apply for Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

More on money

Happy couple discussing finances together on grey sofa with a laptop and coffee at home.
Money and mental health
Budget-friendly Valentine's Day ideas
Cost of living
How to manage your money
How to deal with debt
A person tucking into a healthy bowl of salad with a knife and fork. The rest of the table contains another plate with leafy greens.
How to eat well on a budget
Person saving money and putting coins into a piggy bank with a notebook on the side working out their living costs
Reduce your living costs
Tattooed vehicle technician fixing car engine considering changes in the industry and whether their job is at risk
At risk or loss of employment
Two people enjoying their retirement sitting on deckchairs on a beach, watching the sunset
Online pension guide
A pile of coins with green plants growing from the centre of it
Everything you need to know about pensions in under 7 minutes

Sign up to hear more from Ben