Bereavement: Useful links
There are lots of different organisations that can provide information or support. They specialise in different services and you may find the following links useful.
Looking after yourself and others
- NHS has a range of information on bereavement advice, support and coping with grief.
You can also call the NHS bereavement helpline on 0800 2600 400
- Cruse Bereavement Care is a free service that offers bereavement support
- Coronavirus bereavement advice from The Good Grief Trust
- Bereavement UK has a support forum for those that are suffering a loss
- Macmillan Cancer has a bereaved spouse community
- Sue Ryder offers free confidential support including up to 6 sessions of online counselling for people over 18
Bereavement support for parents and children
- The Lullaby Trust supports parents bereaved by cot death (also called sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS)
- The Compassionate Friends supports bereaved parents and their families
- Child Bereavement UK provides specialised support, information and training for everyone affected when a baby or child dies, or when a child is bereaved. They also run online forums for bereaved parents
- Grief Encounter supports bereaved children and young people
- Hope Again helps young people living with loss
- Winston’s Wish supports bereaved children, young people and their families
Support following a loss by suicide
- Support After Suicide Partnership supports those bereaved or affected by suicide
- The Calm Zone supports people affected by suicide
- Papyrus provide bereavement support for young people following a loss by suicide
Financial support following bereavement
- Turn2Us support provides practical help to people who are struggling financially
- GOV.UK financial guidance, benefits and support
- Citizens Advice financial guidance, benefits and funeral payment support
We want to reassure you that you are not alone and we’re here for you. We can support you through your loss. If you need someone to talk to you can chat to us online or call our helpline on 08081 311 333.
More about bereavement support
It can be really hard for children to cope with the loss of a loved one and to process everything they are feeling – here are some ways to help a child when they are grieving
Here are some ways to say goodbye, if you're unable to attend the funeral of a loved one
Be kind to yourself while you grieve. Remember, the healing process takes time, and we all grieve differently
Supporting people through grief is hard, especially if it's your parent and the person they’re grieving for - was someone you were close to
Here are some ways that you can help someone through a difficult time
It’s not easy having to think about your finances when you’re grieving, so we’ve put some resources together to help.