Shrove Tuesday is just around the corner, which can only mean one thing – pancakes! Who doesn’t love indulging in a pancake (or 10!) on pancake day, but if you’re trying to be healthy, the refined carbs and sugar in traditional recipes don’t make for the most nutritious meal.
But have no fear! Here are some of our favourite healthy pancake picks so you can join in on Shrove Tuesday guilt-free!
For the sweet-toothed amongst you these recipes will satisfy your sugar cravings whilst nourishing your body with vitamins and minerals:
- This protein pancake stack from BBC goodfood contains 29g of protein per serving and is packed full of healthy ingredients. Blueberries are a great superfood, rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and vitamin K. Meanwhile, bananas contain high levels of potassium, promoting good kidney and heart health, whilst flax, chia and hemp seeds provide healthy fats and fibre.
- Nothing beats a traditional sugar and lemon crêpe on pancake day. But if you’re looking for a heathy take on an old favourite why not try out this recipe from thekitchenshed for honey and lemon wholemeal pancakes.
- For something a little different why not try out these apple pancakes from popsugar. At only 57 calories per ring, these are a great option if want a sweet treat whilst on a healthy eating diet.
- Allrecipes has a great basic recipe for healthy pancakes, made from oats, wholemeal flour and flaxseed. Wholegrains contain lots of fibre, promoting digestive health, and help to control your appetite by keeping you fuller for longer. Customise this recipe with your favourite healthy toppings such as nuts, berries, banana, or yoghurt.
- To all the chocolate fiends out there, we’ve got you covered. Raw cacao is high in antioxidants and contains more calcium than cow’s milk, whilst chia seeds are rich in fibre making these chocolate chia pancakes a delicious and nutritious treat.
If savoury pancakes are more your thing then check out these delicious recipes:
- Popeye loves spinach for a reason! This great superfood is an excellent source of iron, supporting healthy red blood cells and boosting your energy levels. These spinach protein pancakes are gluten free and go well with a poached egg or two for extra protein.
- Unlike their white cousins, sweet potatoes count as one of your five a day and are a great source of vitamin A, promoting good eye health. These sweet potato pancakes from goop.com are mixed with coconut and berries for an unusual, yet tasty, flavour combination.
- These savoury pumpkin pancakes from Ruchis Kitchen are full of fresh vegetables and have an added chilli kick making them a great alternative to normal, flour-based pancakes.
- For an Asian twist why not try these Vietnamese pancakes from foodprepsundays. Stuffed with healthy spinach, mushrooms, peas and spring onions, these pancakes will get you well on your way to your five a day!
- These plantain courgette pancakes by the groovy food company contain plantain, avocado, smoked salmon and beetroot, for a colourful and vitamin-packed meal. Who wouldn’t want this for dinner on Tuesday?
For more healthy eating and lifestyle tips check out the physical health section of our website.